layout

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mom Watching


I’ve realized a stark truth about myself recently:
I am not just a people watcher, I’m a people analyzer. I don’t want to just know what people do; I want to know who they are. I want to know why they do things, what their motives are, and how they came to be so ‘weird’. And I always find things I want to emulate.
So with that in mind, as I am about to celebrating my 13th Mother’s Day, I want to say a few thank-yous.

Thank you to all the mothers who had moments of parental greatness while I was around. I didn’t say anything about it at the time, I much prefer to sit back and dissect the moment, but I promise I noticed. Because I noticed - it changed me just a little bit and helped make me a better mom.
Also, thank you for not always being so great. I dissect those moments too. Not in a judgey, I could totally do it better way. I just see it all as pieces of a huge puzzle that makes you human and normal. And I feel better because I’m human too.

Thanks to the mom who takes so many opportunities to encourage your kids to be kind. You have made me more aware of the need every child has to be included and the responsibility I have to guide my girls’ to show kindness, even when it’s not a special occasion.

Thanks to the mom who seeks teachable moments and takes the extra minute to encourage your children’s hearts to search after God. You have given me the words that have empowered me to try to do the same.

Thanks to the mom who is super fit and always active with your kids. You inspire me to get off my lazy tail and play with my girls. You are a reminder of the example of health I want to give my girls and the mental push I need to keep trying until I get there.

Thanks to the moms that make the cutest things and always have your kids so put together and adorable. You remind me that the details matter and that a special touch from me is needed every once in a while.

This list could go on and on…. My point is this: If you mother around me – Thank You! I am learning from all the amazing things you do. Your strengths inspire me. Don’t worry about your weaknesses – God gave your children to you because they need what you are. I know the verse in Proverbs about iron sharpening iron is generally used in reference to men; but you guys keep me sharp and on my toes.

I hope you all have a fantastic day. You deserve to be celebrated!

No comments: