layout

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Trials and Tribulations of the Black Thumbed

Keeping houseplants alive have never been my forte. Actually, a more accurate statement would be that I have always killed every plant that has come into my home. I try, really I do. But somehow things always end poorly.
The thing is, I have great growing DNA. My grandmother can tell a plant to grow and it does. My mother has more houseplants than furniture. Even my sister can manage to keep green things green. And then there is me…
So imagine my chagrin when I received a beautiful hydrangea, my favorite plant, as a gift recently. Not only do I want to keep this beauty alive because it is beautiful, now I have the added pressure of not wanting to tell a friend – “Sorry I killed your gift”.  I have also recently discovered that you can’t buy fresh herbs in little packages – Oh how I miss Kroger. So in order to actually have fresh herbs one must grow fresh herbs – Yay! {Insert Sarcasm Font}
So my journey of indoor growing has begun. It isn’t going well. I have watered, not water, turned the soil with a fork (don’t laugh, my granny does it all the time and she is a plant growing guru), and even resorted to moving the plants throughout the house to follow the sunshine. I finally realized they were root-bound. I think that is the correct term for a plant that has outgrown its pot. So I spent time this weekend repotting them. I even found what I believe to be plant food. I’m scared to use it on the herbs because we eat them.
I don’t know if there is a patron saint of houseplants, but if there is I seriously need to start a prayer chain. Who knew that a few pesky plants could cause so much stress?!? So if you visit my house and notice the absence of all things green, just don’t mention it. I’m sure I will have a shameful story of failure to tell. If, by some miracle, you find living plants – there is no amount of complimenting that would be considered too much!
Oh the adventures I am having!!!







No comments: