layout

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Something New

When I was a sophomore in high school, my aunt, whom I looked up to and adored, mentioned that one day she took a long lunch and went to the movies - alone; and had a great time. It struck me as strange at the time that someone would want to do a traditionally social event alone - by choice.
As time has passed, I have thought of her getting fried rice and watching a movie from time to time. It dawned on me that it really was a sign of being comfortable in your own skin to enjoy spending time by yourself. This realization hit me during a season in my life when I didn't want to go to the grocery store with out a friend. I was definitely not there - but I wanted to be.
Things have changed. I have lived a lot of life since those days. Today, after I dropped the girls off at friends' houses to spend the night I decided I'd go grab a bite to eat - alone! I didn't even think about what I was doing until I was asking for a table for one. I expected to feel awkward, and it just never happened. I actually enjoyed myself. I also got a lot of work done.
Don't get me wrong, I look forward to dinner with family and friends. I just realized today that I have come to a new place, and that I am glad. Being who I am all by myself is okay with me. That is refreshing. You should try it! 

No comments: