layout

Sunday, September 15, 2013

An Unpleasant Truth About Living Internationally


Well, I think we have put off the inevitable as long as possible. Everyone has warned and cautioned and tried to prepare me for it; but I never imagined it would be quite like this. Culture shock! It is actually more transition shock, I think.

Whatever you want to call it, it arrived wearing an ugly mask at my house this week. Maybe it has been lurking in the corners of the yard for a while now and we have been too busy to notice. By Friday, busy or not, it has clung to every back that calls our little house in Poland “home”.

I expected it to feel like home-sickness. No, no, no. I think that would have been easier and is probably right around the corner. This is more of an ‘everything is making me mad and if I don’t get regular internet soon someone might die’ kind of feeling.

I think there are two main things that are contributing to my little bit of crazy. The first thing is a little embarrassing to admit. I think I am having some media withdrawal. I have never gone so long without television in my life. I’m bored. And stir crazy. A girl can only read so much before people in her family start looking at her weird. I’m working on my fourth novel since arriving. I won't even admit to the amount of time I have spent playing Candy Crush. We have stayed super busy but mindless TV, you know the kind that causes you to lose a brain cell or two, has always been the way I have turned things off in my head. I even get tired of hearing myself talk!

The second thing has everything to do with the language. It can be downright frustrating to not know what is going on around you. It too often requires you to settle for however things end up. It makes me feel dumb and many times powerless. My inner control freak really hates when that happens. I have gained a new appreciation for people who struggle with literacy or are visiting the US. It is aggravating not to be able to read the signs and help yourself.

So, now that you understand why I have been fighting a permanent scowl the entire weekend; let me tell you what I am excited about. Tomorrow I start Polish Language Classes! Anyone who has known me for a while just laughed out loud. Let’s just say that, for me, learning a foreign language has never gone too well. Jason cannot believe how excited I am. I have already gotten a new notebook and colored pens ready for class!!! I never said I wasn’t a complete geek.

I am hopelessly in love with any kind of school. This fact has never carried over into language. But this time it has. Maybe I am just in a culture shock stupor and will come home even more aggravated, but somehow I doubt it. It is the start of finding some much-needed independence in Poland. It might just be the key to kicking this overall bad attitude out of my house for good! In all the preparation for culture shock, I don't remember anyone telling me how long this grumpy, tired period will last. I am sure ready to send it packing!

You might want to say a little prayer for Jason, too. He starts class tomorrow as well. He may or may not be less than enthusiastic about the idea. I think he will do great!

No comments: