layout

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Christmas Quiche Made Small


So I might be one of the few people who have never made a quiche. Growing up, quiche was what old people ate, so I never really saw the appeal. 

Earlier in the year, my aunt made a great quiche while we were visiting and Carlie, my foodie, has not let up about me learning how to make one.

Christmas morning (ish) seemed like a great time to give it a try. What does a non-recipe follower do to learn how to make quiche? Watch a YouTube video. Well, actually several YouTube videos. I had a general idea of what I wanted to put in ours and mad sure we had all of our ingredients. I even had a stroke of genius and decided that cream cheese belonged in quiche. Can you say “Yummy!”
After our YouTube marathon, each adult picked a part to tackle and we got to work.

I learned from the pumpkin pie debacle at Thanksgiving and found a pre-made Polish pie crust.

I cut the cream cheese in chunks and laid it over the crust.

Jason fried bacon and that became the next layer.

We sautéed mushrooms, onions and garlic that were layered in next.

Then came cheese. I mixed cheddar and parmesan. 

Finally we beat up a bunch of eggs, added salt, pepper, and heavy cream. Our method was definitely not the Lite version.

We poured the egg mixture over the cheese and popped it in the oven.

And oh my goodness, YUMMY! Definitely a new tradition in the Luttrull household.

Since we liked the quiche so much I decided to make a much lighter version in muffin pans to freeze in preparation for our kitchen renovations.
I used the same basic method.

 I still used a tiny bit of cream cheese, left out the bacon and the crust, added lots more veggies, and swapped almond milk for heavy cream.

They are not Christmas quiche good, but they definitely make a great, easy-to-warm-up breakfast for all of us now that we are back on the go in the mornings!


No comments: