layout

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Set A Goal.... Or Else!

Oh my word! I have drafted so many posts in my mind since the Holidays, but never found the time, energy, or spirit to actually start typing. I’m generally one of those, ‘If you can’t say something nice, say nothing’ kind of girls. It’s not that things have been bad. CHRISTMAS! Things have just been adjusting. So I know I have some catching up to do. I’ll be working on that over the next few weeks.

What I want to share is about New Years Eve at the Luttrull’s. We didn’t really want to make plans because we were all pretty worn out. After company and Christmas, a quiet night in didn’t sound too lame. Or maybe I’m just getting old. I’m not sure.

So since we were all just hanging out, I decided to try something that I read about in some article somewhere. If you haven’t noticed, my brain is a bit blurry with details these days. Also, maybe a sign of getting old!

During my 10 years working with Mary Kay Cosmetics, one of my strengths was teaching goal setting. My mother taught me the concepts of effective goal setting early. I started making goal posters for myself in elementary school. When I am achieving things and in a good place, you can count on the fact that I am working towards a goal. Goal setting in my personal life is just a part of me. Somehow, I have fallen a little short in passing this trait along.

I can give you 100 reasons that I have held off (boring). Let me just sum it up with – I was afraid of being THAT WEIRD WOMAN. You know, the one that does things differently. Too far out of the box for my comfort zone.

I didn’t really plan it. I just had a moment of clarity (or craziness) and walked upstairs and got paper and markers. I marched the girls and J into the living room, and announced that we were all setting 2014 goals. One might imagine that my children and husband were excited and eager for my little project, but they would be dreaming. At first it was like pulling teeth.

Goals should be specific.
Goals should be something that you can control.
Goals should have an end date.
Goals should be something you are willing to work to achieve.

It became my mantra for about 3 hours. It took some work, but we did it!
The Luttrull’s have goals that we are each striving for this year, personally and as a family. We have a plan for how to reach our goals. And most importantly, we have each other to cheer us on and hold us accountable.

It’s going to be a good year!


No comments: