layout

Friday, November 6, 2009

Fasting

I should probably start with saying that I am not totally proud of what I am about to admit... However, God is so good I think it is more important to share than to save face.

That disclaimer out of the way - today was my day to fast and pray for our church and for SCA. I have never fasted before. And to be totally honest, the thought scared me. Not because I was afraid of not eating; but making a commitment to fast is making a commitment to God. I was terribly nervous that I wouldn't actually follow through with it and then violating my word to the Lord.
But I really wanted to be apart of our month long fast... So I signed up to fast from 7 until 7 today. Truthfully, I chose those times because I figured I could eat a good breakfast and then tough it out until dinner. And since we're being truthful, I never completly committed. In the back of my mind, I assumed if it got tough I would quit and if I never made the committment to God then it wouldn't count.
I woke up late (7:15) and so I missed my chance to have breakfast. Which weakened my resolve even more. I teater close to being hypoglycemic so too long with no protein and I get really shaky. So I just assumed it would be a matter of time before I caved.
But I was still determined to try - for a while.
And then it happened. I have been praying for an opportunity to reach out to a girl in one of my classes for a while now. Based on what she has said I assume she is lost and I have been sitting next to her for an entire quarter... Today God opened a door. I don't think it was a coincidence. Mrs. Gale Tinsley said that during her quite time in the mountains she read that some things didn't happen without prayer and fasting.
I then fully committed to the fast! Not to say it has been easy. But every time I felt like giving up I would recieve a text or e-mail from one of the women from SBC reaching out to encourage me that I could make it. God is good! He has shown me today that He is faithful to His word and that He can get us through things we never thought we could do. With Him all things are possible....
It is now 7:07 and the oven timer is going off.... Boy am I hungry - I'm going to eat now!!!! Still can't believe I made it!

2 comments:

Tina said...

Good for you !!! How encouraging !!

steph said...

Wayn to go Megan!