layout

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Name That Fruit



Wow! Back to School 2013 has been crazy! The girls have not wasted a moment in making friends and beginning their own active social lives. We have been so busy and loved every minute of it!

Remember back to an earlier post about the amazing garden homes I find enchanting(If not, here is a lovely reminder!). Well, there is another aspect to these very cool little plots – they are also small business ventures. All of the produce couples are growing in their little plots on the weekends, they sell in little roadside stands during the week.

I have been buying my produce at these little stands since we arrived in Warsaw and just put the two together.

Which brings me to my point for sharing today…

When one buys produce from a roadside stand in a foreign country from a person that speaks a different language, sometimes it is a lot like playing guess that fruit. Of course, most fruits and veggies are very familiar and easy to figure out; but occasionally I run into something like this:

I didn’t know what it was. Its shape resembled a pear. Its coloring was like a Gala apple. It seemed too firm to be a pear but not quite as firm as an apple. I had no clue what to expect, but I just had to try it.

So we bought them and I put them in the fridge to keep them from over-ripening (everything is sold ready to eat and fruit can spoil in even a few days). It took us a few days to get around to eating them. They softened quickly and their texture became much less like an apple and much more like a pear.

When we finally tasted them – PEARS!!!!
Very yummy pears!

We have played the ‘guess that fruit or veggie' game and lost (funky, smelly bean episode). We will keep playing though. You never know when you will discover something amazing!

No comments: