layout

Saturday, October 2, 2010

SLEEPOVER

I have been promising my girls they could have a back to school sleepover since two weeks before school started. What can I say? I've been busy....
Anyway, I finally made good on my promise and allowed both girls to invite all the girls in their classes. I felt certain that this approach would work because I just knew everyone else was as busy as we were so not that many kids would be able to come but at the same time no one would feel left out.
So when I got all 16 girls home I wasn't feeling overly prepared...
Lucky for me, everyone was just excited to be at a party and they didn't notice my mild panic. They came right in and made themselves at home - which is what I want everyone who comes to our house to do!
We had lots of discarded shoes...
And lots of little girl stuff...
And most importantly - Lots of yummy after school snacks!!!
Which everyone seemed to really enjoy.
Pizza came next and then we all hit the yard. The girls had the best time playing in the wonderful Fall weather. They were enjoying themselves so much that we waited too long to start tye-dying t-shirts and it was dark before everyone was finished.
Last time we did this we used my kitchen table and I learned that outside was the best location for some projects.
The girls stayed outside and played soccer and hide and go seek in the dark. I had to force them to come in and take showers. And I thought getting dirty and staying that way was just for little boys!
Kenneth came out of his room one time. It was only long enough to get food and he quickly fled the giggles and locked himself in his room. I don't think he knew what to make of so many girls in one room.
But by 9:30 everyone was settled in and watching the original 'Pippy Longstocking'. I made them. It was my favorite movie when I was their age and it felt appropriate that they love it too. At first, most didn't seem to sure about it but after 10 minutes they were all singing along and laughing their heads off. I was thrilled.
I know that they didn't all go right to sleep, but they were quiet and didn't last past midnight. They were up with the sun (7:00ish) and ready to go. Breakfast consisted of 18 muffins, a dozen eggs, two boxes of cereal and a gallon of milk!
They were all so sweet and well behaved. My girls are so lucky to have such an amazing group of friends and I am so lucky that they all wanted to come hang out at our house.
We will do it again sometime.... but not too soon...

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

You are one brave woman!

I think it's so great you allowed Alaynah and Carlie to have friends over at the same time! My mama always made us take turns, but the other just felt left out and intruded on the other sister's friends! HA!

You are making sweet memories your girls will talk about when they are older. "Hey, remember when Mama let us have 14 friends spend the night?"