layout

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Yellow Bathroom Saga

What started off as a simple bathroom makeover turned into quite a saga in the Luttrull household. I start so many projects with full confidence that they can be completed in a weekend. Many times I run into one hiccup or another, yet somehow I always seem to make it by the end of the weekend. (Usually exhausted and swearing I will never do a home improvement project ever again!)
But this particular SIMPLE LITTLE MAKEOVER was not one of them.
This is what we started with. Builder grade sink and fixtures and the same dark khaki walls as the rest of the house (well at least the parts of it that I haven't gotten to yet). The mirror is plain, the walls are plain, and the floors are plain. Plain and Boring...
 So, I get the bright idea to add a bright color. I love the shower curtain, so I decided to pick a color from it to paint the walls. Chickadee to be exact! And I LOVE the look of tall wainscoting and thought it would be great to trim it out with a small shelf. I also knew that the hideous vanity needed some help. Don't even get me started on the mirror that someone thought would be a good idea to just glue to the wall. So off to Lowes I went, thinking this could easily be done in a weekend.
Ha! One pulled back muscle, a stomach virus, and a upper-respiritory infection later; it is finally presentable again!

The yellow was SCARY when I first painted the top half of the room. Did I mention I had to use 5 coats to get even coverage? Did I also mention that I would NEVER buy paint from Lowes again? But as the woodwork went up, the exploding big bird feeling faded. I can't say I like it just yet, but it is growing on me. I used door trim to frame out the mirror. I used an old shadow box that I painted the trim color and then hot-glued a patchwork of crayons to it in order to break up some of the yellow. I also framed some scrapbook paper to add some more color to the walls, as if they need more color!
 I finished it off by rehanging my hooks for the girls to hang their towels on. All in all, I love the improved bathroom. By far my favorite part is the new shelf that wraps around the room. I don't know that I will ever put anything on it - I just like looking at it! I hope you enjoy it too!

1 comment:

Tina said...

I am sooo impressed !!! I LOVE it!! I am looking forward to this long weekend and working on some projects myself!