layout

Saturday, August 22, 2009

I Love This Place!

I am sitting on my Granny's couch.
It is my favorite place in the whole world! It has always been. I can remember countless trips to Georgia growing up and the excitement of getting to Granny's. We even nicknamed the stretch of 441 between McCrea and Irwinton "the hills" because when we got there we knew we were close. I never knew what adventures we were going to have but I knew there would be adventure - working in the workshop building some crazy gadget, or selling christmas trees at the christmas tree farm, or harvesting corn, or canning green beans, or building a fort in the woods. The list is endless...
Now, as I am older (not much, mind you), I realize so much more about why I love it here. It represents peacefulness to me. I can come here and just take a deep breath of peace. My mind clears and my soul is restful here. Anyone who has ever come here loves it - it almost seems magical. I know it is just blessed. Blessed by a family that can take anyone into itself and love relentlessly, Blessed by the hours my Granny poured into the soil coaxing beautiful flowers to grow and instilling in me the love of a beautiful garden, Blessed by the pride of my Grandaddy to work his land, build his home, even bring a piece of his heritage, a windmill, from North Dakota (Good Hope Farm - where my ancestors settled when coming to America and where he was born), Just So Blessed!
So here I will sit on this land that is priceless to me; in a home that I love; surrounded by the people who mean the most to me in this world. Today I will learn to make Chow Chow (Some crazy Georgia thing, I think). I pray the adventures will never cease.

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

Eager to find out what Chow Chow is!