layout

Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Random Line of Thinking

I was in Subway this week and heard a random country song. I recognized it from the scandal it caused after the attcks of September 11th. It was about how bad it was to pick on America and how we were going to make them regret it.
It really got me to thinking. I know that everyone can probably go back to some national event that had a drastic impact on them. One in which you remember where you were, what you were doing, and how you responded. Well, September 11th was that event for me.
What can I say. I was politically sheltered. I was very young during the Gulf War, so I only knew of attacks and wars from history lessons. That day changed my perception of America. I went from feeling like I lived in the strongest, most powerful nation in the world to feeling very vulnerable.
Anyway, I said all of that to make this point. I was really hoping that President Obama was going to earn back some respect for our country internationally. (Sorry to all my extremely right-wing friends!) At first it appeared we were gaining ground in that area. And I am so disappointed now. I feel like we are once again being laughed at. That's what I get for putting my hope in a man. Even in a small way it will lead to disappointment.
I want to live in a country that honors God and has His blessing. It will take all of us working hard and stepping out of our comfort zones. Maybe even going crazy and beginning to be active and intentional politically.
All that from a song.....

1 comment:

steph said...

great line of thinking.....I try to keep focused on the fact that there is a whole big world out there...and due to the fact that we are ridiculously blessed, we are responsible, for alot!